Quantitative Research involves a familiarity with research methods and tools that are used to gather and manipulate data. 

The methods used to conduct my research on open-access barriers for the Publications article shows my mastery of quantitative data analysis. The research necessitated content analysis of journal article abstracts from a library and information science database. As a result, I became familiar with QDA Miner software to code the text and extract information, a technique that I have wanted to learn for some time. Using this technology enabled me to better understand the literature and provide evidence for my arguments.

As part of my academic research library practicum, I developed a survey to assess the current use and awareness of electronic laboratory notebooks at UTK. This project demonstrates my competence in gathering and manipulating data and allowed me to learn Qualtrics, a survey software tool.  The data from this study will provide vital insight necessary to help the library determine data management needs.

Written Communication concerns effective communication of complex ideas in written form or simply the ability to write clearly and concisely.

My published open-access article and UKSG eNews editorial demonstrate mastery of the conventions of the written language as well as proficiency in a variety of writing styles used appropriately for the audience.  The peer-reviewed article represents a formal presentation of academic research and the editorial was authored for the practitioner community.

Both pieces illustrate my understanding of writing as a series of tasks that includes finding, evaluating, analyzing, and synthesizing appropriate primary and secondary sources. Developing competency in writing has been a complex social process involving multiple drafts, collaboration, and reflection. Communication via writing is paramount as knowledge does not benefit anyone unless we can communicate it, and do so effectively.

Leadership influences others to accomplish desired outcomes by developing interpersonal relationships with one’s teams, holding oneself and others accountable to meeting goals, and setting an example of integrity through demonstrated performance.

Assuming lead of the Team Science assignment and guiding the project to completion is evidence of my competence in leadership. To be an effective leader I kept objectives in sight, monitored our progress, and overcame obstacles, such as the barriers to accessing information about the data. At the start, I established expectations for the team and subsequently engaged team members to participate and maximize their contributions. Additionally, while co-authoring the UKSG eNews editorial only represents a team of two, I undertook lead responsibilities of setting our article vision and strategy to accomplish our goal while remaining consistent with the values of the publication. In both cases, I maintained an effective working relationship with and among team members and presented a sense of excitement for the projects.

Problem Solving relates to the process of designing, evaluating, and implementing a strategy to answer an open-ended question or achieve a desired goal.

The research conducted for my open-access article demonstrates expertise in problem solving. For this research question, I identified the issues and used logic, judgement, and data to develop an approach for the study to best address this specific problem. My contribution in the Team Science project relied upon critical thinking skills to identify problems, develop and create ideas, and offer strategically aligned options for problem solving. After thoroughly researching the institutional organizational challenges, I was able to recommend alternative solutions to meet our team’s deliverable. Both projects also display my ability to effectively use logical methods for organizing and analyzing information.

System Design describes the phase in system engineering or software design that combines the user or project needs with the necessary hardware and system requirements to facilitate defining the overall system architecture.

The Team Science project demonstrates a broad understanding of system design. The diagrammatic framework and concept document produced represents an early phase in the development cycle that defined ORE’s needs and required system functionality and documented appropriate data sources and the systems holding viable content. This vital step serves as the foundation toward the realization of a successful system. To continue the development cycle, system design specifications would provide input for design synthesis, implementation, and validation.